Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **death In Old Forge!!

Snowmobiler killed in Webb

TOWN OF WEBB A Madison County woman was killed when her snowmobile struck a stone breakwall on Fourth Lake early Sunday, Town of Webb police said.

Christine A. McJury, 35, of Bridgeport, was taken by ambulance to St. Elizabeth Medical Center in Utica after the 2:35 a.m. crash, and was pronounced dead as a result of head injuries, police said.

McJury struck the wall on the north shoreline of Fourth Lake, throwing her off the sled.

The snowmobile also burst into flames upon impact, police said.
    Police said they are still trying to determine the cause of the accident.

WOW ----very sad

Comment

My camp is in Eagle Bay and we heard the trucks go out. Never a good sign at that time of night. We were at the North Woods (via truck) earlier and we could just make out the sleds crossing the lake by their headlights. The fog we real heavy.

Comment

there should be a law...my opinion..all sleds in at 12:00 pm..any out..ticket..just my opinion....the first thing everyone thinks about at that time is "alcohol" ..was it involved in these types of accidents...
        now if it was...will there be another lawsuit??? bartender charged???...lets hope it did not...
        sorry to hear about this...

Comment

Make better choice's

I think we need to stop making law's to try an protect people from them self's and start holeding people acountable for there action's... Just read the first part of the story....to me it sounds like the police are trying to blame the snowmobile.. """TOWN OF WEBB A Madison County woman was killed when her snowmobile struck a stone breakwall on Fourth Lake early Sunday, Town of Webb police said.""" SNOWMOBLIE'S DON'T HURT PEOPLE...PEOPLE HURT THEM SELF'S ON SNOWMOBILE'S.... I feel very sad for Christine A. McJury family...But they have to understand that she made a CHOICE to be out at that time of the night on the lake when it was foggy....Now if "alcohol" was involed why should it be the bartender fault...did the bartender make the choice for her to drink? NO!!! ... "IF" she was drinking she made the CHOICE to do so not the guy or gal behind the bar...end of story. Now let's say "alcohol" was not involed...Next thing ya know the family will try and bring a lawsuit to the owner of the wall...saying it shouldn't be there and quess what now someone will try to make another law trying to protect us from are self's and the next thing ya know you can't ride the lake any more... It's all about making CHOICE'S and holeding are self's acountable for are actions

Christine A. McJury RIP.
          Last edited by Late_Braker; 01-30-2006, 10:03 AM.
          Ride it like a Rental

"Fear" : A balencing act between Normalcy and Idiocity, ...It Parelizes the Majority,... But give's Clarity to some.

Comment

Bravo!
            Nice post Lake Breaker

Comment

You hit the nail on the head late braker. My prayers are with the faimly

Comment

right on the money late braker, i hope the best for christine's family

Comment

That sucks...very very sad.
                  I agree w/ what your saying Late Breaker. It comes down to pionting the finger at someone. One of the reasons for this 55mph speed law on sleds. Yes it's to help curb accidents, but also to stop the "supposable"(is that even a word? ) victim of a accident, NOT sue everyone and their brother for their own actions. Ex: Railing down a trail, sharp turn...uh oh....into the trees(or whatever), sled crashed, possible injuries....Lets sue the land owner and club. Investigators reconstruct the accident, come to conclusion the driver of sled was over the 55mph limit. Hence HE/SHE is to be ticketed and NOT able to sue land owner and club. I like this law, even knowing I myself may get "caught" breaking it some day. If it helps protect a landowner and a club then good, cause then it helps protect the sport of snowmobiling as a whole. It will also hopefully make some of these people who think they can do what they want, where ever on a trail they want,wake up and realize there is rules, whether we like it or not.
                  It's who we are ..... It's what we do !!!!

Comment

Im with you guys, you can blame the bartender, or bar, or sled maker or anyone else, its terriable when this happens but people need to be accountable. And we had went 2 years without a death and now 2 already this season.

Comment

I Agree With Late Braker 100%...very Sad News Though....may She Rest In Peace And Regards To Her Family

Comment

found:
                        Several snowmobile accidents on lakes in the Old Forge area underline the need for heightened safety awareness when riding the frozen waterways.

News of the accidents did not surprise Jim Rolf, vice president of the Oneida County Area Snowmobile Association, who was riding on the foggy Fourth Lake early Sunday.

"I've snowmobiled since I was 8 years old and I've never seen a condition like that," said Rolf, 30, of Rome.

Christine A. McJury, 35, of Bridgeport was thrown from her sled after striking a break wall on the north shoreline early Sunday morning, police said. The snowmobile burst into flames on impact. McJury was taken by ambulance to St. Elizabeth Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead, police said.

Two other snowmobile accidents were reported on the same lake, Town of Webb police said.

* An Old Forge woman struck a dock at 6:45 p.m. Saturday while riding on the lake's south shore, police said. Sandra C. Barrett, 41, was taken to St. Elizabeth and later to a Syracuse hospital for head, hip and leg injuries, police said. Barrett told police she was following a set of snowmobile tracks before hitting the dock.

* Spencer J. Hughes, 39, of Averill was thrown from his snowmobile after he stuck a stone breakwall at 2 a.m. Sunday on the lake's north shore, police said. He was taken to St. Elizabeth's for wrist fractures and internal injuries.

Rolf said many snowmobile fans flocked to the Adirondacks and Tug Hill last weekend because there wasn't much snow elsewhere. More riders mean more accidents are likely to happen, but when riding conditions are bad, snowmobilers should proceed with extra caution, he said.

Rolf said he and wife, Kate, came off an Inlet trail and onto the lake at about 1:30 a.m. Sunday, and the fog was "like a white sheet in front of your face." The two were traveling slower than 10 mph because they had no sense of direction on the lake, he said.

"If I wasn't there, I wouldn't believe anyone who told me you couldn't see in front of your snowmobile," Rolf said.

A fourth weekend accident occurred at 2:45 p.m. Sunday on the Stillwater Reservoir, also in Webb north of Old Forge, when a snowmobile driven by Glenn McClure, 41, struck an ice heave and threw him onto the ice, police said. He was taken by ambulance to Lewis County General Hospital, police said. McClure's hometown could not be learned Monday.

Comment

4th Lake

HEY ALL

I'VE BEEN READING THE SITE FOR A WHILE. ALL OF YOU ARE HURTING OUT THERE BECAUSE THERE IS NO SNOW.. ASK YOUR SELF THIS QUESTION? WHAT IF YOU OWNED A BUSINESS UP HERE AND 70% OF YOUR SALES COME OVER THE WINTER? RAIN IS LIKE ACID FROM THE SKY. SO..MANY TIMES THIS WINTER WE HAVE BEEN ON THE VERGE OF GREAT CONDITIONS ONLY TO HAVE RAIN. VERY FRUSTRATING!
                          kEEP UP THE FAITH. TIMES LIKE THIS MAKE YOU REALLY APPRECIATE THE "GOOD SNOW DAYS." DONT FEEL BAD WHEN THE SNOW DOES COME AND YOU TAKE A FEW DAYS EXTRA OFF FROM WORK.

THE LADY THAT HIT THE BREAK WALL WAS ONLY 3 CAMPS AWAY FROM HER HOUSE ON THE LAKE. VERY SAD
                          TWO OTHER GUYS WENT IN THE LAKE TOO! ONE GUY HAD A NEW APEX (12k) WITH NO MILES ON IT.
                          DO NOT GO ON THE LAKES IF THERE IS WARM CONDITIONS AT NIGHT! IF YOU CANT SEE THE BAR BEHIND YOU HOW ARE YOU GOING TO FIND YOUR WAY HOME?

KEEP IN MIND THAT A LOT OF ACCIDENTS DO NOT GET REPORTED. THERE WERE MANY MORE PROBLEMS LAST WEEKEND ON THE LAKES THAT NO ONE "REPORTED."

LET IT SNOW FOR DAYS!
                          Last edited by BALLSDEEP; 02-02-2006, 01:13 PM.

Comment

ballsdeep..thanks for the good information...keep up the posts...and tell your friends to join
                            thanks
                            snopro

Comment

Working...
                            X